Five Tips For How To Prevent Autumn Motorcycle Accidents
Autumn can be a wonderful time of year for riding your motorcycle. For many motorcyclists, the autumn months are the final opportunity to enjoy using their motorcycles before storing them for the winter. Below, we’ll talk about some ways that you can prevent yourself from getting into a motorcycle accident this fall season.
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident that was caused by someone else’s negligence, you could be entitled to recover compensation. The motorcycle accident attorneys at Adam S. Kutner Accident & Injury Attorneys have what it takes to thoroughly investigate the cause of the accident, identify the liable party or parties, document damages that you are owed, and aggressively pursue the settlement you deserve.
Consider Your Safety First
Before you ever board your bike, you should ensure that you are wearing the proper safety gear. When a motorcyclist is involved in a collision, they are typically directly impacted, since they don’t have safety features like airbags to protect themselves. That’s why it’s important to wear safety gear, which could offer you some protection from a collision.
- Wear proper clothing – Consider wearing a jacket, preferably a leather jacket, when you ride. Leather can help prevent you from sliding across asphalt if you are thrown from your bike. You should also wear gloves, pants, and sturdy boots.
- Wear a helmet – Wearing a Department of Transportation-approved helmet while riding your motorcycle can save your life. Helmets can prevent traumatic brain injuries, which can be life-threatening. Ensure that the helmet has a fitted chin strap as well.
- Wear clothing that can be easily seen – One of the key aspects of motorcycle safety is to be sure you are visible to other motorists on the road. Consider wearing clothes that increase your visibility.
Prepare Your Bike For the Trip
Before setting out on your trip, you should ensure that your motorcycle is in ship shape.
- Fill up on gas – Consider topping off your tank before setting off on your journey.
- Check the tires – Your tires should be filled up to the proper pressure setting. Be on the lookout for bald spots or worn tread, as these are signs that you need to replace your tires.
- Ensure the fluids are full – Check the oil gauge before heading out, and make sure that other engine fluids are topped off.
- Check the brakes – Check your brakes to ensure they are working correctly in case you need to stop or slow down suddenly.
Be Aware Of Your Surroundings
Motorists sometimes have a difficult time noticing motorcyclists they’re sharing the road with. That’s why it is so important for motorcyclists to be hypervigilant of their surroundings.
- Watch for signs of a distracted driver – If a driver is swerving or weaving in and out of their lane, they may be distracted or impaired. Be wary of such drivers. Pass them with care or let them get far enough ahead of you that they won’t pose a threat to your safety.
- Watch out for inclement weather – If inclement weather appears to be imminent, pull over and wait to continue your journey until you can safely do so. If you do drive in inclement weather, you must adjust your speed to compensate for hazardous conditions.
- Pay attention to road conditions – Be on the lookout for road construction zones, uneven lanes, potholes, and other road defects, as these are much more dangerous to a motorcyclist than to someone in a vehicle.
Watch Your Speed
When you are riding your motorcycle, make sure that you follow the posted speed limit. If you get into a collision while traveling at high speeds, the impact could be catastrophic.
- Adjust speed when necessary – If the traffic situation changes or hazardous conditions arise, consider adjusting your speed to compensate. You could sustain severe or even fatal injuries if you are involved in a motorcycle accident while traveling at high speeds.
Contact Us Today
No matter how many precautions you take, riding a motorcycle can still be dangerous. If you are the victim of a motorcycle accident, the team at Adam S. Kutner Accident & Injury Attorneys is ready to help you. Call us at (702) 793-2752 to set up an initial consultation. We have 30 years of experience helping motorcycle accident victims pursue justice and seek the compensation they need to recover financially after an accident. Reach out at your earliest convenience to discuss your case and evaluate your legal options.