Do I Need an Auto Accident Attorney?
Being in an auto accident is a tough experience for most people. It can leave you feeling overwhelmed and unsure of what to do next. A common question many people have after an auto accident is whether they should hire a personal injury lawyer. The answer depends on a few different factors, but it’s important to understand the advantages. Our team at the Law Offices of Adam S. Kutner has a group of experienced auto accident attorneys who can give you the guidance and support that you need.
START YOUR FREE CONSULTATION
NO FEES UNLESS WE WIN!
What to consider when deciding if you need an auto accident attorney
Here are some factors to consider when deciding if you need an auto accident attorney:
- Severity of injuries: If someone in the accident suffered severe injuries, it’s absolutely essential to seek legal help. Those injuries could result in high medical bills or permanent disability, and your attorney can help to make sure you’re compensated fairly.
- Complexity of the situation: There can be a lot of unknowns in a case, such as who was at fault. You need someone with experience to help you navigate all the uncertainties of your case.
- Extent of damage: The extent of the property damage is another factor you need to consider when deciding whether to hire an attorney. If it’s minor, you might be able to settle out of court with the insurance company. However, if your property is badly damaged, you’ll likely need an attorney to help with negotiations.
- Insurance company communication: Unfortunately, insurance companies don’t always have your best interests in mind. If you feel you’re not getting a fair shake, an attorney can handle those communications for you.
- Statute of limitations: Finally, it’s important to know your state’s statute of limitations for filing a lawsuit after an accident. If you miss the deadline, you may lose your right to pursue legal action. In other words, the sooner you contact an attorney, the better.
Keep in mind that each case is unique, and it’s always best to consult with an experienced auto accident attorney to decide what’s best for you in your particular situation. At the Law Offices of Adam S. Kutner, our attorneys are here to help.
What to do after an auto accident
Even though you might be a little shaken up after a car accident, it’s important to immediately take steps to ensure everything is done legally and that everyone is taken care of.
- Call 911: The first thing you’ll need to do after a car accident is to call the proper authorities, and 911 is appropriate in this situation.
- Check for injuries: This is something you will likely do while you’re on the phone with the 911 operator. They will want to know the extent of the injuries so that they know what responders to send to the accident.
- Get to safety: If you are able, get yourself and everyone else to safety out of the roadway. If a vehicle is not damaged and can be moved, it might be necessary in order to prevent further accidents. However, you’ll want to ask the advice of the 911 operator before disturbing the scene.
- Gather information: Exchange information with everyone you can on the scene. You’ll need names, addresses, phone numbers, license plate numbers, and insurance information for anyone involved. You’ll also want to get information from possible witnesses.
- Contact an attorney: If you’re not sure whether or not to contact a car accident lawyer, it probably means you should. They can help you decide what information you need to get, as well as deal with the officers on the scene when needed.
Benefits of hiring an auto accident attorney
In 2020 alone, more than 40,000 people were killed in car crashes. Many more were seriously injured. That’s an alarming rate that spiked in spite of a pandemic that kept people home more.
For people involved in accidents or for their loved ones, these tragedies can be emotionally, physically, and financially devastating. That’s when the help of a good attorney becomes invaluable.
It’s not unusual to still wonder if hiring a car accident attorney is necessary. With that in mind, here are a few great benefits of doing so:
- To help you decide if you have a case: First and foremost, the best person to ask whether you need an attorney is actually an attorney. They can tell you whether you have a case worth pursuing.
- To deal with the insurance companies: Insurance companies are in business to make money, so getting substantial compensation from them may require a fight. Our team is experienced in dealing with these companies and getting what our clients deserve.
- To represent you in a lawsuit: In the event that a settlement cannot be reached, you’ll need someone to represent you in court. There’s a lot more to proving injuries than just medical records. Your attorney will know exactly what evidence to gather to help you win your case.
- To determine the value of your suit: Do you know how much your claim is worth or how much to even ask for in the settlement? On top of medical bills or repair costs, this could include things like lost wages and pain and suffering. A good attorney knows how to calculate your deserved compensation.
When to call an attorney
Not every car accident victim needs an attorney, but it’s important to know when you do. Here are several situations in which it’s absolutely crucial to call a lawyer right away:
- The accident caused serious injuries to you or someone involved
- Fault was not clearly established on the scene, or you felt it was wrongly established
- It happened in a school zone or construction zone
- Serious damage was done to any vehicle involved
- You have trouble getting anywhere with the insurance companies
Most importantly, if you’re not sure when to contact an attorney, it’s best to go ahead and set up a free consultation to find out.
Our lawyers at Adam S. Kutner Injury Attorneys are here to help not only with car accidents but also pedestrian injury cases, slip and fall accidents, and more. Contact us today for a free consultation.
Goguen, D. (2023). Nevada Car Accident Laws.
Motor Vehicle Deaths in 2020 Estimated to be Highest in 13 Years, Despite Dramatic Drops in Miles Driven. (2021).
Adam S. Kutner
PERSONAL INJURY LAWYER
With more than 32 years of experience fighting for victims of personal injury in the Las Vegas Valley, attorney Adam S. Kutner knows his way around the Nevada court system and how to get clients their settlement promptly and trouble-free.
Personal Injury Practice Areas in Las Vegas
Adam S. Kutner is a top 100 trial lawyer with 32 years’ experience and expertise that will benefit you
Call us at (702) 382-0000 anytime to schedule a free consultation. We will work to get you the maximum settlement as quickly as possible so you can move forward on your healing journey.
Adam S. Kutner reviews and testimonials
“We were in a car accident – we were coming off of the interstate and were waiting – yielding at the exit and a car sped through the exit and smacked us in the rear.
It was definitely scary especially because we had our baby in the car. My husband and I and our baby in the back seat. We definitely – immediately went back in and checked on her to make sure she was okay.
We definitely had back pains my daughter had headaches. She kept holding her head and crying. It was pretty bad.
I remember seeing a couple billboards and a friend of mine did say they had a pleasant experience with Adam Kutner, so we called them right up.
They definitely were thorough, and you could tell just by talking to the people in the office that they genuinely cared about their clients.
They contacted us saying you know, explain the process on how the settlement gets done and about a week after that happened we had our settlement which was great and in my opinion Adam S. Kutner is the best attorney in Las Vegas.”
– Janae Reynolds. 5/5 Stars