The Top Las Vegas Slip and Fall Lawyer
Many debilitating injuries arise from people slipping or tripping on wet, slippery or greasy surfaces as well as unexpected holes in sidewalks. These injuries are often the responsibility of property owners or the government entities responsible for maintaining public areas.
If you are on someone else’s property and you injure yourself as a result of a dangerous condition on the property, the land owner or business proprietor may be liable for your injuries.
Adam S. Kutner specializes in fall down injuries, and is ready to assist you.
Slip and Fall Categories
There are four generalized categories under which fall down accidents are grouped:
- Trip-and-fall, where there is a foreign object in the walking path – like a stack of books in a walkway that is normally clear;
- Stump-and-fall, where there is an impediment in the walking surface – like a power cord that runs between two cubicles that wasn’t there previously;
- Step-and-fall, where there is an unexpected failure or hole in the walking surface, such as a missing manhole cover or utility cover in the sidewalk;
- Slip-and-fall, in which the interface of the shoe and the floor fails – you slip and fall on someone’s wet or greasy floor and there are no warning signs posted anywhere.
Causes of Slip-and-Falls
Most slip and fall accidents occur in a business setting. These events fall under the category of premise liability because they are generally caused by the business or property owner not adequately maintaining the area where the event occurred.
- Damaged walkways, driveways, or paths leading to the business. This includes sidewalks that have shifted and potholes in any of these areas.
- Unmarked danger zones. This includes failing to post wet floor signs, notifying the public of uneven pavement or flooring, or other dangerous areas to walk in.
- Stairways that have not been properly maintained. This includes missing or broken handrails and failure to put slip-resistant coverings on the stairs.
- Inadequate of missing lighting in walk areas and stairwells.
- Failure to remove snow and ice and treat ground accordingly to prevent it from becoming slippery once the snow and ice are removed.
- Failure to keep walkways free from debris or clutter making it difficult to maneuver.
Slip and fall injuries should be taken very seriously. Anyone who has experienced a slip and fall should seek medical attention, even if the injury seems minor. It is not uncommon for slip and falls to cause the following injuries:
- Concussion and/or traumatic brain injury. Any time that your head is hit there is a potential for serious injury.
- Neck and spine injuries. Twisting while falling can lead to spine and neck injuries as well as the impact from hitting the ground.
- Damaged rotator cuff and wrist and elbow injuries. Many people put their arms out when they fall to brace themselves. This can lead to serious injuries of the shoulder, elbow, and wrist.
- Damage to the tailbone and lower back. An abrupt fall can cause a hard landing on your tailbone and shock your lower spine.
- Twisted or broken ankles and displaced hip joints. Many falls cause damage to this area because of how the body twists when it slips.
If you have been involved in a slip and fall accident, it is very important to file an accident report with the business where the event occurred. If possible, you or anyone you are with should take pictures with their phone of the area where the accident took place. It is also important to write down everything that you can remember that lead up to the accident. All of this information will be very important when you file a claim for compensation for your injuries.
Free Consultation for Slip and Fall Accidents
If you or someone you know has been involved in a slip and fall accident in Las Vegas, please contact us for a free evaluation of your case. Free Online Evaluation